Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Dessert of the Week: Rustic Rhubarb Tarts

These tiny and adorable rhubard tarts are not part of my work week easy dinner arsenal.  They are part of my it's summer time indulgence.  I found the recipe at Smitten Kitchen, one of my favorite sources for yummy dishes.  Click here for the whole recipe.  Overall, they were pretty easy, super cute, and absolutely delicious.

For the ingredients, I was able to get cornmeal in bulk to save on cost.  I used my KitchenAid mixer for the dough, but I appreciate that she gives you several options for mixing because I was baking without the stand mixer not too long ago.  When I was shaping my tarts, they looks a hot mess.  I ended up sort of cupping them in my hands and trying to squeeze them to close up some of the tears in the dough.  They held together fine, though, and came out looking nicely messy instead of unappetizingly ugly.  Also, I forgot to buy parchment paper, but luckily ehow.com told me I could use brown paper bag with cooking spray on it.  It worked fine.  Never buying parchment paper again.

Rhubarb and vanilla bean compote-ing.
 
Wee tarts going into the freezer.


Wee tarts fresh out of the oven (notice grocery store paper bag used for parchment paper).


Ready to enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment