Monday, July 23, 2012

In Defense of Amateur Decorating

I discovered this NYT piece called "How to Tell if You're Over-Propped" through Apartment Therapy, which is funny because they sort of slam Apartment Therapy, though quite indirectly.

When I first read the article, I was taken aback.  I felt discovered.  I read design blogs.  I find inspiration in other people's blogs and homes for my own home.  I placed a terrarium carefully on top of a pile of books chosen by color!  I own Grace Bonney's Design Sponge at Home and peruse the photos of beautifully designed homes! Now the New York Times tells me I'm "cliche," "insanely self-conscious," and an "amateur stylist."  Well, yeah.  Whatever.  It's cute, okay!


There are some good points in the article.  I've tried to imitate things in my home that seem appealing in a blog post, but then they just don't work for me.  It is important to be authentic and genuine.  To me, however, this doesn't mean you can't copy a little.  Everyone is copying something.  Haven't you seen Everything is a Remix?  You just have to be authentic to your own taste and personality.  For example, I would never hang any kind of taxidermied animal in my home, even a pink lucite or white plaster version (I've seen both in restaurants), because it's completely contrary to my own personality.

I've spent a good bit of time, energy, and money decorating my living room.  I recently hung curtains and made the cute and cliche terrariums a while ago.  I've rearranged the top of the bookshelf countless times.  But at the end of the day, I love being in this room.  I love spending time with people (and animals) I love in this room.  Yeah, when the terrariums were complete, they made an Instagram debut.  They were popular.  People liked them.  But that's not the point.  The point is to have a happy home.

Additionally, ever since I became more interested in design and decor, I've spent less money on me (clothes) and more money on things to be shared.  I love the DIY craze because it encourages us to get off the computer (yes, even if we get the ideas from the computer) and make something and spend time with people.

So, in the end, I don't think there's any harm is stealing a little cuteness from other people's homes if it gives you, your family, and your friends and happier healthier place to live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment